Roosevelt Carter, II, is a native of Lee County, Georgia. After graduating from Lee County High School, he attended college in Washington, D. C., and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from Howard University.
After completing his first year of law school in Houston, Texas, he studied at the University of Miami (Florida) School of Law’s London Summer Program at the University College of London Bentham House Faculty of Laws in the United Kingdom. Mr. Carter received a Juris Doctor degree from the Thurgood Marshall School of Law at Texas Southern University.
Upon admission to the State Bar of Georgia, Mr. Carter opened a private practice in Albany, Georgia, handling thousands of criminal, civil, family, and personal injury cases in state and federal courts throughout the State of Georgia.
From February, 2005, to May, 2006, while maintaining his private practice, Mr. Carter served as a Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Georgia, preparing and conducting numerous juvenile court hearings for the Department of Family and Children Services (DFACS) for the six-county Southwestern Judicial Circuit.
In 2007, Carter also served as the defense attorney for the Municipal Court for the City of Montezuma, Georgia, representing people charged with various local and state criminal and traffic offenses.
Mr. Carter currently serves as the Judge of Municipal Court for the City of Leary, Georgia, as well as for the City of Newton, Georgia, where he presides over judicial matters such as criminal and traffic offenses, local ordinance and zoning violations, probation revocation issues, and preliminary hearings. While serving as a Municipal Court Judge, Mr. Carter continues to practice law and represent clients throughout the State of Georgia.
Mr. Carter’s high degree of motivation has been recognized by fellow attorneys and clients throughout the nation who have quickly recommended cases and clients to him for representation.
- State Bar of Georgia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- United States District Court, Southern District of Georgia
- Supreme Court of the State of Georgia
- Court of Appeals of the State of Georgia
- Council of Municipal Court Judges of Georgia
- Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- 2004 Graduate, National Criminal Defense College
- 2003 Graduate, William Daniel Trial Advocacy Program
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity International
- Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity
- Gentlemen of Drew Social Club, Howard University